Escribe y encuentra lo que buscas:

International Students : Legal Formalities

Legal Formalities

EU students

If you are from a European Union member state (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden or the United Kingdom) or from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you are entitled to free movement and residence in Spain.

However, all EU citizens wishing to reside in Spain for a period of more than three months must register with the Central Registry of Foreign Nationals to receive a registration certificate and a Foreigner Identify Number (NIE).

You should apply for this document directly at your local police station:

  1. Barcelona residents should go to the police station in Rambla Guipúscoa, 74, Barcelona, having made a prior appointment on the website (Servicios\Extranjería\Cita previa extranjería\Acceder al procedimiento\Barcelona\Certificado UE\Entrar)
  2. Foreign nations living outside Barcelona should apply in person at the local police station in their town or city, without making a prior appointment.

You will need the following documents:

  • Application form.
  • Passport or identity card (original and copy).
  • ESCI-UPF registration (original and copy).
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or private insurance policy (original and copy).
  • Statement of Financial Resources proving that students have sufficient economic funds during their stay in Spain (example). Participation in an EU study exchange programme is viewed as sufficient proof.

For further information, please visit the spanish Home Office website

Students from outside the EU

If you are a student from outside the EU, the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland and wish to stay in Spain for more than 90 days, you need to obtain a student residence permit, which authorises you to remain in Spain for the duration of your course and, if you wish, to travel within the EU and to any countries that have signed agreements on the free movement of people with Spain or the EU.

Steps for obtaining student residence permit: